Continuing Dental Education in Dental Hygiene
Courses and Events
The Division of Dental Hygiene strives to improve and enhance oral health care through education, research and patient care. The Division is committed to providing continuing dental education (CDE) to practicing dental hygienists, dentists, dental technicians and dental assistants so that they maintain and continuously improve their knowledge and skills throughout their professional lives.
The CDE program ranges in scope from clinical and laboratory education to formal conferences with internationally recognized speakers. CDE focuses efforts on providing education to New Mexicans, but encourages national and international attendance. The program's goals are to:
- Improve the knowledge and clinical skills of dental professionals
- Introduce dental professionals to new ideas and techniques as they become available
- Develop and maintain lifelong habits of study, education and receptivity to changing ideas in the practice of dental hygiene and dentistry
- Encourage understanding of the ethical and legal issues affecting the practice of dental hygiene and dentistry
- Foster interdisciplinary education and promote collaborative practice for underserved communities
CDE activities and services include hands-on clinical experiences, targeted training in new therapeutic techniques, lectures, panel discussions, workshops, symposia and the use of electronic technology.
The Division of Dental Services residency program hosts Journal Club and case presentations throughout the year. Continuing education credits are offered for these lectures, which are accredited by the American Dental Association's Continuing Education and Recognition Program. Community dentists are invited to attend. Contact the division for more information.